- Keeps building cool, insulating the roof will make building interiors cooler and therefore more comfortable.
- This will lessen the need for cooling and lower energy used for air-conditioning. This will help reduce climate change in the long run.
Polyurethane vs other insulation (R value per inch)
- Polyethylene foam: 3
- Rock wool roll: 3 - 3.85
- Polyurethane foam (sprayed): 5.5 - 6.5
Advantages of using PU
- 1 inch of PU = 2 inches of other materials. Insulation will be thinner and therefore lightweight. This means that for roof applications, structural load will be less.
- There are different applications like spray (on top of roof ), boards, or sandwich panels.
- Rigid, closed cell PU is not affected by water vapor, and it maintains its form.
Disadvantages of using PU
- PU foam is combustible but contains fire retardant and fire rated B2, which means it will self extinguish.